Self Assesment / Tax Returns

The criteria for who needs to register for self assesment is listed below. Tax returns and self assessment can be a complicated matter which we can help you with. To find out more please get in touch using our CONTACT PAGE.


You’ll need to complete a tax return if, in the last tax year up to 5 April :

  • You were self-employed
  • You received £2,500 or more in untaxed income, for example from renting out a property or savings and investments
  • Your savings or investment income was £10,000 or more before tax
  • You made profits from selling assets such as shares, a second home or other chargeable assets and need to pay Capital Gains Tax
  • You were a company director  (unless it was for a non-profit organisation, such as a charity, and you didn’t get any pay or benefits, like a company car)
  • Your income (or your partner’s) was over £50,000 and one of you claimed Child Benefit
  • You had income from abroad that you needed to pay tax on
  • You lived abroad and had a UK income
  • You got dividends from shares and you’re a higher or additional rate taxpayer
  • Your income was over £100,000
  • You were a trustee of a trust or registered pension scheme
  • You had a P800 from HMRC saying you didn’t pay enough tax last year – and you didn’t pay what you owe through your tax code or with a voluntary payment
  • From 6 April 2018, if your dividend income was more than £2000